11 January 2007

Dexly, innovation and theft


Categorized list of Web 2.0 companies (olim Categoriz)

This is one of a series of Web 2.0 lists that lean heavily on the first version of EVERYTHING 2.0 - an Excel sheet that I shared about a year ago with Christian Mayaud, tipping him that his blog traffic would explode if he'd publish it. That's exactly what happened.

So, I don't mind at all that people use and re-use, mix and re-mix my list - without changes or adding little nifty 2.0 features to it. I'm open source. Databases like this make it easy for people to generally check what Web 2.0 is all about, to benchmark their own new concepts against things that already exist, to innovate new combinations between existing concepts.

Everybody trying to maintain a database like this is dependent on other sources. I've identified about 20 - 25% of the titles on my list through industrious browsing and other active research. The other 75 - 80% come from harvesting some excellent sources, that I've listed in my ABOUT 2.0 category.

What pisses me off in Dexly's case is not so much that they do not mention their sources (i.e. EVERYTHING 2.0 and others), or that they are too lazy to copy all additions that I and other 'listers' have published since the first version of my first list, but that they have added a Creative Commons license to their website.

UPDATE: Dexly's management has responded on the above with two entirely acceptable explanations & statements. Please read the comments.

This is a good moment to make explicit annotations to my most important sources, thus describing the heart of the WEB 2.0 LISTING ecosystem (-:

3spots - Very comprehensive in a number of important categories
Ajaxian** - Best source on ajaxified apps and sites, deep
Buzzshout* - Most valuable user input of all lists dependent on that
Downloadsquad - Deep reviews; focus on downloadable apps
Econsultant - The source of about 1/4th of my original list, not well maintained since
Ehub - Newsy
Everything 2.0 - Most comprehensive index
Genbeta* - Newsy, deep
Mashable - Best source on mash-ups
Momb - Most actual 2.0 info in the world; even report on stealth sites
Monkeybites - Deep
Ñblog - Newsy, deep
Programmableweb** - Excellent reference website, main source on APIs and mash-ups
Solutionwatch* - Deep reviews
Techcrunch - Hottest big news & gossip sourceWwwhatsnew - Newsy

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Bob,

We have no intention to take content or data without giving credit. If you feel we have taken any content or data from Everything 2.0, we would be happy to remove them from our list. We wanted to centralize all listing, so we have volunteer editors that goes out and get the best sites and add them to our directories.

We can do the following:
1) Remove contents that you feel was taken from Everything 2.0

2) With your permission, I would like to give you credit or any sites credit if our editors have taken content from.

I will send you my cellphone where you can also call me directly.

Once again, I apologize for this incident.

Regards,

John
john@dexly.com

Anonymous said...

Bob,

I am one of the partners of Dexly.com and I want it to be known that we are embarrassed by this!

Our intent was NOT to use other sites or people's material without citing them. In this case, we did go through and make our own descriptions for sites and we did ask our developers to make sure that all descriptions that were not ours to be blanked out upon launching. We have been up for about 2 months and given the MANY things I have on my plate I did not check to see if those descriptions were blanked out.

Here is what we are going to do. First, we will delete all descriptions that are not ours. And, second, we are creating a "Sources" page where we will list ALL sources of our information.

In the case of Common Comments, we will leave that as it is. Because we will be citing all sources, it will protect all sources as well.

Again, please accept our apologies!

Bob Boydston, partner

Bob Stumpel said...

Okay John,

I see. Apologies accepted. I appreciate your immediate reaction.

A small credit note & a withdrawal (if that's good English) of the Creative Commons License will do it.

Brgrds, BOB

Bob Stumpel said...

Dear Bob,

You don't have to take any descriptions out.
Re Creative Commons: do you realize that the categorized structure is originally mine too?
Let's face it: my list, it's contents and it's structure are all over the web. Nobody owns it, nobody has to protect it.
Let's all just try to keep it alive as a service, and let's all try to improve on it wherever it's relevant & helpful to the users.

Brgrds, BOB

 
Clicky Web Analytics